The Gibraltar Fire and Rescue Service have reminded the public of its duty of care towards others and their surroundings.
This follows a number of recent incidents involving the inappropriate disposal of smoking items that have caused harm to individuals and damage to personal property.
Two incidents have been brought to the attention of the GFRS Fire Safety Department, one where a cigarette seems to have been recklessly dropped from a window, landing in a baby’s pram causing injury to the child, and another in which a lady had a cigarette land in her hair.
These actions are both careless and irresponsible causing risk to life, property and the environment, the GFRS said in a statement.
The GFRS added that it takes this very seriously and advises the general public to be vigilant and mindful of the potential repercussions of actions such as those already described.
“We are strong advocates of prevention through education and therefore implore the public to follow the guidelines outlined in the attached leaflet in order to avoid any reoccurrence and mitigate potential risks to life.”